View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
They are likely going after the afterbirth on the calves. They hunt small rodents so unless you have mouse sized cows, you are safe from the ravens and crows. They will go for the calf if it's dead. Look to other things for killing the calves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Many calves are killed each year during birth from stress from ravens and eagles targeting a calving cow. They go after the eyes of the newborn, and they die shortly after birth.
Marisa you really need to get your facts straight. It is 100% true that calves and lambs are killed by ravens and crows and that they go after the eyes, I've seen it happen myself. My grandfather always had a shoot on sight policy when it came to crows, and it also a fact that there is almost always a calf in my uncles herd that has lost an eye as a direct result of crows(not to mention the ones that have died). It has also been my own personal experience that they are persistent and are not afraid of humans. I've had crows dive bomb newborn lambs when I was only a few feet away. They probably do go after the afterbirth but they will try to take out the newborn first. I for one would rather end the life of a crow than see it make a lamb or a calf suffer needlessly.