View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
It was said before.

Faith is faith

Science is science.

Evolution versus Creationism in root theory has been discussed by the church and the church gave in to science twice before on two critical issues of faith importance. Then the church evolved accordingly.

Creationism in my mind is being hung onto unnecessarily by some old ways of thinking not too dissimilar to my two examples.

What are those examples? The examples that shook the religious community to its core...twice?

First one... Is the earth round or flat? Church said flat. Science said round. Church punished all those that said otherwise. Eventually church gave in as the evidence via science was there...in their face.

Second one... Does the sun revolve around the earth. Church said earth is the center of all. Science said...ummm...science shows the earth revolves around the sun. Church punished all those that said otherwise. Eventually church gave in as the evidence was obvious as proved by science.

We won't even go into the faith based theory that the sky above the clouds holds the heavens that we ascend to after death. We know that within telescope range...way above the clouds are some amazing celestial places...however no definable heaven seen.

So now we have the one last gasp that says creationism is the one true fact. That all science to date and all proof shows just like with the above two examples that science is once again right and the earth is old and animals and plants have evolved over millions of years... the church as some interpret it must adapt. There was a great video that shows evolving bacteria over a short period of time. That being said so many already believe in both is clear.

Faith is about faith.

Science is about science.

Faith is more about a belief in what is the right way to live. The right way to live is evolving with time. Some people need to believe to have a guide in how to behave and act. Others faith is non religious comes from within and a sense of treating others with respect, love, compassion. One doesn't need to believe in a higher power to believe in the same positive behaviors and traits as what some text in some old books and in many situations interpreted and reinterpreted over time says.

Some need faith to see a purpose. Man thinks at a higher plane that animals. We are not all about reproduce, eat, sleep, defecate. We want to know more...learn more...understand why we are here. What processes made us who we are today.

Clearly to me a higher power lives by different sense of time as time is relative and time is pure interpretation. Therego arguing about were dinosaurs here when man walked around (no proof whatsoever) versus the earth evolved over billions of years (loads of proof) and maybe a higher power coaxed it along a certain way could help. Otherwise just believe in both. It doesn't hurt.

Some people need to know there is more to life than this existence. Others make the best of this existence. Others take it for granted...then go to confessional and get in last minute no problem.

Interesting times we live in with all this science stuff. Going to get more and more interesting.

So my take away for myself is that if truly both sides want to be happy and everyone else to be happy and for nobody to hurt another in any way... that should be doable.
Your number one mistake is that assuming because someone is of a religion, they are Roman Catholic. It was the Roman Catholic Church that suppressed any and all forms science and thought that would subvert their iron grip on the average person. If one associates violence with Christianity, they are focusing on the RCC.

You also talk about faith vs science. You need to realize that believing in evolution requires a lot more faith than creation. With creation, there is one event after which anything is possible. With evolution, you must believe in trillions upon trillions upon trillions of events, over unimaginable periods of time, all unguided, uncontrolled, with the end result being the perfect order in nature we see today.

While it may seem I am here to pick fights and argue, I am genuinely interested in everyone's choice of evidence that backs up their belief. While there are a lot of scoffers, very few have given something worthwhile.