View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
.308... Ain't never gunna out grow it, no more recoil then the 7-08, hell of a lot less then the .270, more oompah then the .243, easier to find then a .260, lighter to pack then a 30-06 and .270, further reaching then the 30-30.... Etc etc etc...

Bought a box of 7-08 blue box federals tonite, $36 out the door... That's $12 a box more then I pay for 180gr .308 ammo.... If the kids gotta get comfy with his hunting rifle, that takes ammo and a fair ammount of it.... Consider the economics.
I agree with you for the most part, particularily the cost of ammo, but having shot both cartridges extensively from rifles that were virtually identical, the .308 does kick more than the 7, particularily with 180 gr vs 140 gr....not so much with the 150s. For an adult, the difference is probably negligible (or however you spell that damn word!), but for a youth or smaller woman who may be more recoil sensitive, the 7-08 is going to have less flinch effect I believe. Don't get me wrong, the .308 (with reduced loads) would be my for sure second choice to the 7-08 for a young shooter, I love both rounds dearly....I just love the 7 a bit more.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone