Thread: Cortland 333
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
With all due respect, this whole post is BS. Most every well made fast action rod is true to weight if you know how to use them. The wind is up and the river is open if you would like to test your theory.

Modern fast action rods throw arrow tight loops that buck the wind and deliver pin point accuracy compared to medium action rods and simply blow away fiber and bamboo.

Slow rods are like traditional long bows. They are challenging and nostalgic but comparing them performance wise to a modern compound is a fool's errand; comparing to a high powered rifle is ridiculous.

I have some old fiberglass and bamboo rods and can cast them too, but I see absolutely no reason to be sitting on the bank waiting for the wind to go down or watching a large trout feeding out of reach on the opposite side of a medium river like it was 1970.

But, to each his own. Enjoy your gear as I am sure you will but please don't try to explain how 99% of us fly fisherman are doing it wrong while you alone possess some divine wisdom. It isn't modern fishermen that that have been lead down the garden path and fed BS, it is a very few left miles behind stuck in a rut.

Really, you all kidding aren't ya. There isn't an experienced FF that hasn't encountered tbe BS pounded out by the manufacturers and had to add one or line weight in order to get a decent casting rod.
At one time you could by rods that worked with the line weight specified. Not much any more.
I have/had Orvis, Scott, Winston rods that cast the suggested line weights well. But then the chase was on for stiffer and stiffer rods and tbe line weights went out the window along
The truth on line weights.

Don