View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 02:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair trigger View Post
A client brought some up last year and we put them out.. They are ok They are made from a corrugated plastic material, which does not look real durable. The stakes are skinny and U-shaped they go thru the body. They were ok in early peas but not how they would work in Nov in Alberta. I was not a fan of the white as it was bright if that makes any sense as white is bright but different than the Real Geese we use. They are smaller in size compared to Real Geese but are light. which if walking in would be great. Only used 4 dozen 2 mornings killed limits over them and you will kill over them just not my favourite.. All the best with your decision.

HT
I have been using silos the last few years, with pretty good success. Mostly use Big Al's now but still have 4-5 dozen Big Flocks (whites), and a dozen RGII's. Sold all of the full bodies, kept one dozen shells (movers) but don't really use them any more either.

I liked the look of the stakes on the Dive Bombs so decided to give them a try. Pretty confident they will work well, as the other silos I have, have worked well over the years. Hunt the early season a fair bit, usually lots of swaths still out, so I do have to carry my stuff in for at least a few hunts every September.

I can carry my shotgun, blind bag, blind and 3-4 dozen decoys in without two much effort, but have to make two trips out to bring out the birds and gear. Thatching the blind only takes about 2 minutes though, and the birds all come in straight, feet down.
This shoot was over in about 15 minutes

Have not had to hunt in frozen ground yet, but silos would be a bit of pain in frozen ground. Cousin still has a few dozen full bodies if the ground does freeze, but we haven't really had to use them, the last few years. So far late season we have had snow, so setup for the silos was still pretty quick

Took a few of the cousins full bodies and my shells on this one, just in case

Picked up a sled and new bigger trailer last year, so got lots of rooms for everything now. Still got a bit of rigging to do on the trailer, lights, rack for rake and crow bar (still use the willow blind when some of my sons and nephews are down).