View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 11:30 AM

I've thought about this a lot for my kids who are still in Junior High. I'm combining my own experience and my wife's experience and that of many friends to steer my kids. I don't want them defaulting to a university education just for the sake of having a degree. If they are targeting a specific career like lawyer, doctor, engineer, nurse etc I'm good with university but I don't want them to blow 8 years getting a masters in a non-employable field.

If they were to go to NAIT or an equivalent for a Lab technician or Radiologic type career I don't think there will be a shortage of well paying jobs. With the aging population medical tests will be in high demand and these jobs usually come with a pension and good benefits along with some great vacation.

My wife unfortunately chose a career in a field that is dominated by small businesses. No pension, poor benefits and some sketchy practices... I however work at a big company and have full pension, great benefits and good vacation time etc. I'd not only look at the "job" but also look at the potential employers in the field... What do they offer? An example would be that my wife didn't get a day in Lieu for Canada Day this year because according to Provincial Labour Law it is not required if it falls on a Saturday. I however did and she had to take a vacation day. Also, she maxes out at 3 weeks vacation. I'm about to hit 5 weeks.

If she was to do it again she'd have gone into something related to Radiology but some guidance counsellor steered her into her current job.

At the end of the day my kids will decide for themselves if I raise them right but hopefully they don't ignore my advise. I didn't ignore my parents and am glad I didn't.