View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 PM

Default fired a Centennial today - wow !

Friend let me shoot some rounds from his octagonal-barreled "Centennial" 94 today.

His dad bought it NIB (nice old box with certificate still there), and fired less than a box through it (two like-new boxes of Dominion 170gr still at hand, priced at less than $5/box) then cleaned/oiled it and put it away.

I'd say this rifle is now at 98% condition. The barrel is pristine, the blueing flawless, the wood has one little dent. We pushed a few patches through it, wiped oil on the mechanism, purchased 2 boxes new Win 170grPP, and off to the range where this little beauty came through with flying colours.

First off, the iron sights shot 1" high at 100yds, and gave a decent 5" or so four shot group off the bags. We did not try and improve on this and shot it as is. Sight picture is very easy to acquire.

From a standing position, the rifle repeatedly burst water-filled cardboard juice containers (4" wide, 10" tall) from 50 yds. It rang the 6" 100yd gong from standing. The sights are quite fine, so they don't obliterate the target. That big long octagonal barrel really helped steady the offhand hold, and kept muzzle jump to a minimum. Curved steel buttplate was comfortable.

What amazed me is how light and smooth the trigger is. Lots of travel to take up at first, then it firms up nicely before releasing with a bit more effort. Guessing a 5# trigger pull that does not shift the rifle away from the point of aim.

Saturday am, tomorrow, my friend is taking his 94 WT hunting in a small mountain clearing. I can already taste the venison !