View Single Post
Old 06-28-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Well I find it a bit strange that "parts for the lee Enfield are getting hard to find" there's tons of them around. I'm all for getting new rifles though. I wonder if these new rifles will still be used in 50 or 75 years like the old ones were and how long parts will be available for the new ones.
With licensed manufacturing on our own soil, I can't see parts or replacements being an issue. That's why the licensing agreement was used.

As for the longevity of the new rifle. Lets put it this way. The No 4's currently in use were factory refurbed in the early to mid 1950's that's 60 years!
That's straight up linseed oiled walnut hardware, the new rifles are laminate hardwood, I'll give the edge to the laminate.
The action and metal work on the No. 4's was carbon steel with parkerization, or high temperature paint. The new rifles are stainless steel, again advantage to the new rifles. The action on the No. 4's while good for mud and trenches was weak, and had its flaws(extractors, headspace, cold weather reliability) the new action is not as exposed in its workings, but is also un tried in the long run in arctic conditions to this ill call a tie.

Hmm the new rifle ain't gonna be any worse, than the No. 4, maybe a bit better I'd say.......

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 06-28-2015 at 11:02 AM.