View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 07:57 AM

There are a few options for cameras. You can get units that use your phone or tablet as the display via Bluetooth, which are cheaper in general because of less expensive parts. My issue with them has been battery life (Bluetooth sucks power off your phone) and I always worry that my phone or tablet will fall in a hole while I'm messing with things. Cold slippery wet hands and all.

A second option are the micro camera units, which are good to fit in you pocket and use to check out the bottom quickly. I don't think these are the best for a "set it up and use all day" type of fishing because the screen is small and you either need to hold it or prop it up on something. Again, they are small enough to fit down the hole too.

The final option is a self contained unit, which is the most common. These have their own 12v battery, screen, and camera (typically with 50' of cable). Screen sizes vary but most are around 7". The Aqua-Vu 715C is probably the cheapest option here, around $320 on sale often. The Marcum 485SC is the lowest Marcum model and is what I have. I like it. The battery lasts more than one day and it has a good underwater "camera" (really a sensor, not a camera per se). The Marcum is about $450 now and sometimes goes on sale to the $420 range.

Hope that helps.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors