View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
All this is pretty true, but a pack capable of hauling that much meat effectively is going to interfere with your ability to move through the bush quietly. So for me to use a pack frame will most often involve a trip back to the truck to get it.

Dragging a deer a couple KM by his antlers when I have snow isn't terribly hard, so that's how most of my deer come out.

If I need to go back to the truck anyways, a sled will most often work just as well as a pack frame... even moving a whole deer up to 5 km is generally pretty easy with a sled. Depending on where I'm hunting I might also have an ATV in the truck, though I tend to kill very few deer in places where an ATV is much use.

Obviously, there are times like those in the picture, where quartering and packing is the only good option. But in my experience, as far as whitetails are concerned, is that those instances are the exception rather than the rule. But yes, a pack frame and some game bags will be going in my truck next season... though I fully expect it to be a few more seasons before I actually need to use them.

The main reason I didn't quarter that deer is that I wanted to keep him in one piece for my kids to have a look at. By the time I needed help I was pretty close to the road, being that close to the truck and with a buddy that could help, we just proceded with brute force and ignorance.
I have been packing game for decades, but there's times I just drag them to my truck and use brute force, in fact I kinda like the exercise and the fresh air.

I have even quartered moose and drug them in my sled by hand,takes some time, but hey there's no rush .Deboning is the best way with a good pack, but It just depends how I felt on those days including ,terrain, deep snow,- 35 below it's cold on the hands so I build a small fire if it's a moose if I need to debone,few trips and yes I break out into a sweat even though I handled a chainsaw 10 hours a day at work back then.

I hunted solo most the time, now I can't due to a surgery I had which was aneurism.so I can't blow out the repairs they put in place,big game changer for me,but my grandson is one tough kid 6 foot 5 inchs at 15 years of age 260 pounds ,plus the one hunting most of the time with me is 12 years old size 11.5 boots and solid as a rock and grabs a 100 lbs like nothing ,so I still get out more and love hunting with him. Covid is bad this way at 40 percent positive testing where they live so I lost my buddy for a bit ,were all in lockdown big time.

As long as your out hunting and getting some fresh air and even a little bull work seems like fun and makes for a good laugh at days end, sleeping is even easier haha. Beats staying home chirping like an idiot all day about Trump .

All the best
JD