View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Did you sleep through the long winded debate between someone from S.E. Calgary (the fellow with the private perch pond sans the oil company sponsored trip to the north coast) and several other forum members concerning a certain family lake in the eastern Rockies and the desire to petition SRD for changes to the regulations there? I did not see your ideas floated during that debate.

At first, and until I looked you up, I thought you were him singing the same song with a different title.

Over 300 posts in three threads of wasted bandspace related to a handful of fellas who were lobbying us to bend to his will to create a "quality" fishery. All of which I followed and kept copious notes on. More than half of those posts were made by the same urbanite who asked us to "...keep the debate in one place so he would have an easier time correcting us all...". Talk about elitism.
I don't know what you're talking about nor do I see your point....I'm just a guy who wants an opportunity to catch a freaking trout over 20" in more than just 10 bodies of water scattered across the whole province and I wanted to see what the general consensus was out there. Seems I'm not alone.

Quote:
Alberta is known far and wide for the world-class trout fishery on the Bow downstream of Calgary, and for the big pike that are available almost anywhere.
Ummm... the only world class fisheries in this province are still world class because of 1 of 2 things:
1. They are remote and difficult to access = low fishing pressure
or
2. They have special regulations that limit harvest:
Trout - Bow river, Crow, Livingstone, North and South Ram, Prairie Creek, Oldman, etc, etc, etc.

Pike - the pike fishery in this province nearly collapsed because of over fishing. Walleye the same thing. Special regs had to be put in.

While Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and B.C. are trying to improve their fisheries, we let them get totally decimated before we do anything about them. If Alberta should be world-renowned for anything, it's for being reactive and not proactive when it comes to its fisheries.

You seem anti-regulations when it comes to stocked trout waters yet the world class fishing in Alberta only exists in places with special regs (or in isolation). You're contradicting yourself. Why can't we be known for a world class stillwater trout fishery (like Manitoba) as well?

Quote:
Not good enough for you?
Nope, not even close. Less than 10 stocked waters with special regs out of 300 stocked lakes is not good enough for me and it doesn't look like it's good enough for the vast majority of the people that are voting on this poll.

You can not have an accessible trout stream or lake in this province consistently produce fish over 20" without special regs. Prove me wrong.

Quote:
Go north young man. You are close enough to world class char family angling to make your argument moot to those of us that must drive more than three hours to get to a spot that is not overwhelmed with latter day anglers who fish because Rapala says they should purchase all 2765 varieties/colors of their crankbaits. And even that might not be far enough.

Free (to say no)
Sorry, you've lost me again... I don't know what you're talking about or what point you're trying to make. I'm slow... you might need to draw me a picture or something? Why am I driving North???

Cheers.

Last edited by Bigtoad; 02-24-2011 at 11:26 AM.