View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
It's kind simple guys.

Sask does it, Manitoba does it, BC does it, private pond operators do it, even the Natives @ Morley do it.
What is it - raise fish to 8 lbs. and yet our SRd folks seem unable to to the same.

Curiously, all the lakes where I live did have 8 lbs. fish in them. They don't now.

Forget the Quality Lake thing - every lake in the Rocky Area was once a Quality Lake as defined by the Policy. Not any more - even the touted Quality Lakes are now decimated.

WHY!!!

Don
This is why I really like the idea of one fish UNDER 18" (or 16" or 20" or whatever) for lakes that are dubbed "quality". (Don't worry HunterDave you can still instantly gratify yourself with five 10" fish at hundreds of other stocked ponds around the province).

One under 18" allows some harvest of pan-sized fish for those that would like to keep one but it keeps the big boys in there. Catch it, take a picture and quick measurement, give it a big smooch, and send it on it's way. You don't have to kill it to have a replica made and if you hold it WAY out during the picture you can make it look even bigger!

SRD also have to limit how many fish they are putting in. It's ironic really; they are underfunded yet waste time and money dumping way too many fish into lakes. I don't get it. They need to do us, and themselves a favour and lighten up the stocking on every lake that has an aerator. They could also do us another favour and make C&R or one under 18" at any lake with an aerator as well. My guess is that would still be under 10% of the stocked lakes in Alberta and allow all 5 of the guys on this poll who voted for 5 fish to still be able to have all of the tiddlers they want.

Cheers.