View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
If you are looking for a strong jig, check out the slow poke jigs (TFH). The only other jig I have seen as strong were the smack jigs, they were made by a local guy, but have not seem them for a few years.

I have been using the slow poke and smack jigs for years, strongest hooks I have seen, good paint finish, and stand up style head.
Sol-poke jigs use Mustad hooks. Mustad is ok but not top tier (same goes for the swivels). Much better than the bargain basement stuff but does not have the sharpness of Gamakatsu or Owner hook. The point is that all terminal tackle is relatively cheap. Even the most expensive hooks or jigs are little more than a dollar a piece. Doesn't seem like a good place to skimp because you save essentially no money. I am not someone who insists on top of the line for every thing. I think paying $800 for a reel or rod is a little nutty (but it is a relatively free country). This is particularly true when there are great rods and reels available in the $100 range. But when you can get the top of the line terminal tackle and it costs you a few bucks more, I can't see why you wouldn't.

Now if we can only get a retailer to provide some of it. The answer here is not getting more retailers that just offer the same old dreck. I always make a point of asking the retailers to order better stuff. It seems to be having an effect at WSS.