View Single Post
Old 10-27-2018, 08:48 PM

Oct 27th .... repaired the Float Tube air bladders following the mfg’s recommendations, they held air pressure for the past 2 days, installed them this morning and went out ready for sea trials. Not a great day, WNW wind blowing close to 30 KMH my tube has no oars it’s 60+ hp flipper driven, had to quit after about 1 hour, got too tired. It was tough trying to control/hold the tube and fish, however, they were still active, had a number of hits but had difficulty setting the hook due to slack line. Managed to catch 2 Walleye and ended up keeping 3 Whites for the Mrs. The sea trials were successful no loss of air pressure the air bladders held up, my lesson learned “don’t over inflate them”! Monday looks like another promising day, hopefully the wind will be down.

A few pics of today’s adventure, as well, I’ve included a few pics of the air bladder seam repair process, in the event someone has similar future issues & did a search they would find this post/thread.

Cheers

D.

She floats!

Bit windy today.

Still active in wind.

No leaks, called it a day!

Keywords = Float Tube Vinyl Air Bladder Seam Tear Repair Type B Patch Successful

I had some Goop and inserted the applicator into the seam to bond the inside of the tear, I used a teaspoon to work it back into the damaged area. Used some sandpaper to rough up the vinyl area I was going to patch, then clean it with acetone, or use alcohol wipes, now you’re ready for the repair. Scott gave me some of his “Tear Aid” he got it from Princess Auto, I used a small amount to patch the initial tear in the seam. I found the Stanley Vinyl Repair at Cdn Tire, it’s used for swimming pool seam repairs, I used it to make a large patch to cover the entire seam. In other words I made a double patch. After the repair I inflated the tube to 60% and allowed the goop & seam repair material set for 24 hours then filled the bladder to 90% and let it sit overnight, no leaks.

Trust this helps.

First Patch = Tear Aid it come sticky 1 side.

Second Patch = Covering Initial Patch/Repair & Entire Seam

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 10-27-2018 at 08:55 PM.