View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 01:42 PM

Default Deck build questions

Hello all,

I am looking to build a deck in my backyard in Edmonton. It is going to be just under 24" in height and 14 feet wide and 16 feet in length and attached to the house. The house already has a 2x10 ledger board attached to the house but one of the questions I have is about how its attached. The ledger board is only nailed to the house. I have attached some images of the ledger board and the main floor house joists it attaches to. Is it ok that it is only nailed in place?

I have attached a very basic framing plan for the deck I plan on building with some basic measurements and also the Edmonton decks under 6' guide the city has online. I would prefer to only have one beam to save on building costs for the foundation piles but it looks like to meet the joist span requirements I would have to use 2x12 joists. Can I use 2x12 joists with a 2x10 ledger board?

Since the height of the deck is just under 24" I would like to use 2x10's for the beam as that would mean only requiring 2 foundations per beam. Can I use a 3ply 2x10 beam under 2x12 joists?

Any help provided is greatly appreciated,

Munroe

Last edited by MunroeM; 05-24-2018 at 01:56 PM.