View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attilathecanuk View Post
First get some ACQ treated 3” screws and secure th ledger to the house with same pattern as those nails (PWF lumber will corrode those nails). A 3-ply 2x10 beam will support your joists and I would use 2x10 for joists as well with one row of mid- length bridging or blocking. I would do 3 posts (screwpiles) under that beam 2 feet back from the edge of deck (or 10 feet from the bump out of the house).
Thanks for the tip on the ACQ treated screws. I knew I needed those for the decking but never would have thought about adding them into the ledger that was already installed.

According to the Edmonton uncovered deck guide I posted I can only span a 2x10 13'8" at max. With a 24" joist cantilever the left most joist and the 2 right most joists will be 14' all the rest will be under 13'8".

Quote:
I wouldn't span 16 ft with 2x12. 2x10 joists attached to the ledger board with joist hangars. 2x12 joists are also expensive.

Support the deck in the middle and end with 3 ply beams (2 ft cantilever on the end) on post saddles into concrete "piles"

We dug our piles with one of those augers and it made a large hole. I would suggest a small auger to save on concrete costs.

You'll be able to park a tank on it.
How deep did you dig for your piles? Was this in Edmonton?