View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrider View Post
My baba passed on to me a harmonica that belonged to my gido a long time ago. It is an M.Hohner "auto valve harp" and it is double dated 1871 in a circle on the left, with a circle connected to it saying ulm. and 1881 in a circle on the right with a circle on the top saying stutt-gart. It says made in Germany, and the trade mark on it has a star of David in a circle with the words "gesetzl gesch" and is between two hands. did some research and the harmonicas produced after WWII did not have the star in the trademark. Will post pics when I get access to my laptop.
I have seen the pre-war Hohners with the star on them, but I don't know if there was a Jewish connection for the Hohner family. It would stand to reason that a star of David would be construed as having a Jewish connection and likely the company would voluntarily or otherwise have dropped this.

The Ulm 1871 and Stuttgart 1881 symbols, would refer to Hohner being awarded medals at an exposition these years.

"gesetzl gesch" translates to federal company.

It would be nice to see some pictures.

I have a couple Marine Bands (C&G) that I use and an older Bugle Band and Echo double sided harmonica which I seem to have mis-placed.

Hohner is 'the' harmoica, you have a great heirloom