View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
I am looking for a smaller no frills boat just for the wife, dog, and me to enjoy. Lets see if I got this figured out... please correct me if wrong as I have always just rented a boat so far.

14 ft will be okay on bigger lakes like cold lake
10 or above hp and you need to register it. Its a 1 time fee
9.9 hp you dont need to register

boat insurance is optional regardless of motor hp
the boat when on the trailer is under the vehicle insurance towing it.

trailers are insured with a 1 time fee
There are a few issues with the above. The insurance vs registration was fixed. The 14 ft on cold lake is way off base. I just spent a week up there in some of the strongest wind I have ever fished in. I was blessed to have a tutor with me who has spent his entire life on big water. What he taught me in three days of bad weather is the most valuable fishing info I have ever learned. My boat is over powered and it was fantastic to have that power. I could not fish as I had to drive the boat but he did for over an hour before he said it was time to go in, the swells were starting to break on the top. I doubt a 14 ft tiller Would have made it back to shore so if a 14 ft tiller is your choice for big water then be very careful and don’t head too far from shore. Now if you want to fish normal sized lakes, then your good but slave, Newell, cold, even mcgregar need some care.