View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Your argument breaks down when you realize those big fish used to be medium fish and they have been contributing the same genetics since year 4 or 5. Got anything to back this up? I'd think habitat, oxygen levels, and food availability have a much higher impact on the stunting of fish and depletion of populations vs angling pressure.

I would suggest you look into the research done on the arctic grayling and how expansive it's range used to be compared to now.
Habitat, DO levels, and forage of course play a large role in determining the maximum size of a fish a fishery can produce, as well as many other factors, but this thread is specific to angling pressure, hence my focus on such. As well my intent was not to compare which factor stunts a population to a greater degree but to answer a question that pertains specifically to perch populations, angling pressure and population stunting. It is not an argument I made up as it has been scientifically proven. And as a side note, this can go both ways; a stunted population can be rehabilitated by utilizing strategic angler pressure, its all in the management.