View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
The artical talks about idling diesel motors not on high idle which is different is it not.

Our units run all day winter and most of the summer either on fast idle or running down the road.

Yes,,, every 200 to 250 hours they see the oil change, so nothing to worry about in the slugging department.
Wabasco and Pro Heat for our heavy hual side,,, nothing on the gravel trucks.

When it's -15c it's pretty hard to get them going the next morning. Ha.

Normally when we're up North we close up the winter fronts leaving a 9" to 10" opening in it for the air to air to breath,,, and flip up the one corner where the mass air flow senior is by the rad so it gets air flow.

Once our units are warmed up, they stay warm all night long on Government jobs across Canada.

50 years with next to nill for issues.
Coast to Coast across most of Canada's Northern Regions.

The coldest we've seen todate was about 14 or 18 years ago Between Alberta and Saskatchewan North of Ft Mac on oil sands exploration,,, -66 to -75c...
The longest winter we encountered was the Baffin Islands Gas discovery research program.

90 days of -40 to -55c with many days of brisk winds,,, all I can say is Burrrrrr. LOL.

The High idle switch wasn't invented yet, so we'd use the throttle cable or a cut of chunk of wood or screw driver to push down on the foot feed to keep those power units rev'ed up.

If the pistons were slapping the valve train the motors stayed warm. Ha.

Boy those were tuff power plants back then.
Folks sure worry about the carbon footprint of stinky diesel motors these days.

Good thing I didn't mention anything about the 3000 +++ scrap wood forest burns last year along the Eastern Slopes of Alberta last winter,,, whoops,,, did I just say that out loud. LOL.

Don at what ever it takes to keep industry running, boy winter sucks.
Yeah Don, up north is special. Coldest I've seen is -72F, -118F with wind chill on the North Slope. Nothing works good at those temps. you never shut it off! We would mark the dipstick for a running hot level to check when getting fuel. Never use the park brakes below -35 ish either. Nothing worse than getting up in the morning and having to pound brake drums in -45 cause they froze on - before morning coffee! lol