View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Full disclosure, I have not hunted Sheep yet... but I disagree with your statement that the quality would decrease by having a limited entry draw if there were limited number of draws.

In my opinion, in general zones most animals that make it an inch over 4/5 or full curl are shot as soon as they are legal for the most part. Allowing a reduced harvest would allow some to grow up into some absolute studs. Yes some will be taken that are slightly smaller than 4/5 and will likely absolutely be a trophy in the beholders eye.

If the single goal is to increase trophy quality, then I feel that limiting harvest is the most viable way to do this. I look south to Montana and Missouri River breaks for the trophy quality that has come out of those areas based on a reduced number of tags.

Now if your goal is to increase or maintain opportunity, then Keep on with the minimum requirements, but I think it would be naive to say that a properly managed reduction of tags (and by this I mean all hunter harvest) would not increase overall trophy quality.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't hunted sheep nearly as much as many people here, but when I have been out, I saw several illegal rams for every legal ram. Many people that go sheep hunting, are not conditioned or prepared for a several day hunt, so they kill the first legal team they see, and with perhaps one tag in a lifetime, even more people would do that, because they know that they won't get another chance. The result would be high percentage of 3/4 curl or smaller rams.