Thread: Backpack
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j335 View Post
Don't overlook the new 2019+ Kuiu pack, on another forum they are doing comparison tests and it's ranking as the top pack. Yes in the past they sucked, they improved it since Joe Blow tested them a few years ago. Used ones come around after the season is over for good prices, along with Mystery Ranch (although they are heavy empty).

I also bought my pack used for 1/3 the price of new. Swapped out the pack to 1800 cuin for a day pack. Later season you might want ~2200 cuin with an extra layer and if you're packing a spotting scope tripod (which I did not problem last week).

Exo, Kifaru, Seek Outside, Stone Glacier, etc. are all good packs but good luck buying used and be willing to spend $800+ to import those outta the states. Based on what I read online and actual tests comparisons I would pick Seek Outside or Stone Glacier out of those groups, Exo has some work to do on slipping waistbelts and Kifaru is very expensive and can be confusing to set up.

Personally if you don't find anything just use a daypack and pack frame, you can pack the frame in part of the way in the AM to save some time.
I’ve hauled 2 rams off the mountain in the Exo. Absolutely zero “slipping” in the waistband. But yes the pack is very expensive and takes time to ship. Not a perfect company by any stretch but the product is top notch.

Interesting to hear Kuiu possibly getting their act together on their packs. Be nice to see some real world reviews in the near future.

I personally like buying from companies who specialize in their market. Seek makes a great tent. Exo makes a great pack. Kuiu makes awesome lightweight clothing etc...