View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
I do not agree with $200000 trapline. Then best part is no one has bought that stuff on the line for $200000 because it is absurd. I am not trying to cause a fight but states model would ruin things. In Ontario they have a quota system on beavers and a lodge count and so many beaver have to be trapped. I don't think a quota system is good either. I personally think that if your line hasn't been trapped for more than 2 years maybe it should be available for someone else. At least with a two year limit then more people may need junior trappers. Then the lines would at least be trapped.

If I am out in left field than so be it.
I won't comment any further so you have the last word this is the wrong thread I should have revived a previous one.
I am in agreement also with this.

Do I trap? No
Would I like to trap? Yes
Can I afford a Trapline? Yes
Can I commit to trapping if a line was purchased by me? No (Reason first one is a No)
Am I a Junior? No, because of not being able to commit as much as I feel is required.

What about the people that own more than 1 Trapline that don't even trap or have cabins nicer than a lot of peoples houses who purchase furs on the side to sell so it looks like they have been trapping? Is this right?

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but I have the image of the more Northern Bushman Trapper.....the kind that left home years ago in the fall and returned home in the spring with his ol' 250 Elan with no seat on it and a wooden sleigh full of furs. The kind that had 3 little log shacks scattered across his line which didn't even have locks on them.

Not the recreational 4 days here, 2 there type of trapper. As someone mentioned earlier....buying a line here is getting to be where Realtors are involved.

I'm not sure where the happy medium is on this one as I don't know enough of the political side to voice an opinion....all I can say is that in my eyes "Traditional Trappers" are of a dyeing breed (I do realize times are in fact changing too)....even the way most guys hunt.

Oh well, when the big one comes my way and I can say to hell with everything I'll be looking for a line that can be trapped the way it was 50 - 100 years ago.