View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 PM

When I was 15, I was fishing for pike and walleye from the shore. I had a red and white spoon on and after an hour of fishing with no luck, my line started peeling away on me. I thought I had a really nice pike on. However, when I got the fish up to shore, it was definitely not a pike. Instead it was 9 lbs of pure lake whitefish fury that I somehow caught by the dorsal fin.
Another one I had was when I was in North Carolina for a couple years, I got to fish occasionally. One time while fishing, I ended up catching a 30 lbs snapping turtle. It was just smaller than a truck tire. He didn't put up much of a fight though. It felt like I had hooked a log.
However, my strange catches aren't as good as my brother in law's. This last year we went out to PEI to visit family. While we were there we went fishing a few times for mackerel and some cod. While reeling up some mackerel, a gannet(seabird) dove down and tried stealing his fish. The gannet got caught in the process, and man those things are mean!! The thing was snapping at everyone that tried to set it free and finally someone got a hold of the beak and we were able to get it free. Then less than a month later, we were fishing at the bow river near Carseland and on one of his casts he hooked onto a gull in mid air. Through experience gulls are a bit easier to handle than gannets. After a 2 minute struggle, the gull was released. I guess he has the magic touch. We called him the bird whisperer after that.