View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
Sorry for the rambling structure, but here's some tips:
  • Prioritize stretching, even so far as doing some forms of yoga. You'll find many threads here about eager guys throwing weights around and getting injured. You probably don't need to pack on a bunch of muscle, but you do need to remain healthy leading up to and during your hunt.
  • Familiarize your body with a heavy backpack, start to work on some hikes around your neighborhood and find some hills where you can load your pack down and move around in it. Use your boots too!
  • Get on a rowing machine 3-4 times a week and go for 5000 m per go, tracking your progress. This is great cardio, simulates an 18-25 minute aggressive exertion, targets your supporting back muscles and core, and even some legs. Throw in some 10,000 m attempts once you consistently flirt with a 2 minute for 500m split.
  • Think about your food for your trip and try to re-create that menu a few times while home for the week. See how you feel and how your body reacts. Adjust as needed.

Good start there.
This is great, thanks. Flexibility is a big challenge for me, so I should work at that for life in general. Rowing is a great idea. I whitewater kayak which is great for core, but this is only once a week so it it is hard to do more than maintain the fitness.

Think I will have to work on the heavy pack. I am good all day with a multiday pack, but do start to feel a tinge in the hips. I will need to get in better shape if I am going to do a long pack out. I am not a huge guy.