View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
There’s whites up to 10 in pigeon now. Average is probably over 5 lbs. another different strain or same ones?
Must be the same bigger strain. No one has stocked any other bigger ones. I'm thinking the whites are getting big because no one is really fishing for them. It used to be the commercial fishermen were taking out 75K kilos of whites during one pull, every year or two. Didn't get a chance to grow. Whitefish can live up to 50 years, more likely 25 is average. I imagine a 50 year old white would have at least 3 lbs. of just fat.

I was amazed when I read David Thompson's accounting of his stay at Lac St. Anne in the first decade of the 1800's. The biggest white caught in a net weighed 18 lbs. according to him. Biggest he'd ever seen.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets