View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 08:41 AM
TundraBuck

Your right I remember that brett.

thefishguy, most mature trout have good colors like that, thats just part of it. most trout people catch (8 - 14 inches) don't have much color, even bigger then that, it depends on the age, the lake, etc. but I usually don't start to see colour until AT LEAST 15 inches and even then 90% of those fish dont have much color.

jrs, yep it does get real crowded. But it is the put and take lake for central alberta,just as chain lakes is for calgary. I've been out there on days when there are over 200 people chucking bait, you can see chunks of powerbait floating around on the surface that have fallen off guys hooks, and the trout will come up to the surface and eat it!!!
The unfortunate thing, I have seen a lot of asian fishermen out there. There is a group of 4 or so fellows that do go out there and kill at least 50 trout every time they go (I haven't seen them in the winter yet, just summer) and I have mentioned to them before that the limit is 5, and they either just ignore me, or play the "We don't know any english" card. Next time I see them, I definitely will get a license plate.

I have one very good memory from dickson pond, it was 2 years ago, my son and I and my wife were camped out there, it was the weekend before May Long and we were the only people camped there. My son and I fish out of pontoons, flyfishing usually. We were putting our boats in and there was a guy standing on the shore having a smoke and feeding us this "yeah flyfishing doesn't work here ive tried it lots before and never caught a fish" you could tell he was full of bs right away he did not look like the kind of guy that knew how to flyfish, too preoccupied. Anyways, then he was giving my son a hard time, saying he should use hardware, and my son just sat there and took it. We had just pushed off, and we were not 25 yards out and he hooked and landed a 16 inch rainbow, and it wasnt a brood stock! Well, he just held that thing up in the air and was very happy, he just said "I thought flyfishing doesn't work here?!"

That day put a smile on my face. Oh I forgot to say, when we were putting in he had told us that he had caught 7 or 8 trout that were all 3 or 4 pounds and he had put them all back already, they weren't big enough. Well, lo and behold, when we came off the lake it was pitch black, and guess who was still standing there? Mr. idiot. He hadn't kept a single fish, he had told us that he'd caught and released 200 fish; but the thing of it is, I watched him a lot and I never once saw him make any movements as far as catching fish. Lesson learned here, don't believe everything a guy says, especially at dickson.

The most common sound there is the sound of a spinrod being casted 75 yards off shore and then a BLOP a huge sinker and a chunk of powerbait the size of my head. I do not fish there often anymore, used to when I had jobs around Spruce View and Caroline.