View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
My stuff was used to fish dinosaurs. Ocean city reels from the 50's, a 3 pc 8 wt 8'6" glass rod from the 50's . a couple 2 piece 8 wt 8'6" glass rods from the 60's and my new rod , a Fenwick 8wt 8'6" carbon from the early 80's.
Those old reels are still as good as new.
I just picked up a newer 7 wt, 4pc graphite, 9' Temple Fork Outfitter Profesional series II that is still in the mail.

I wish I still had my first fly rod, it was a wood rod made with greenheart, 8 wt, 2 piece. The sections were joined on a diagonal slash ,each section had a short ferrule about 1/2" long .The diagonal was about 3" long, and taped with black elect tape instead of the modern type ferrules. My father made that one, and taught me how to make a new tip when I broke it. It finaly broke beyond repair. After that one I used a 3 pc bamboo rod for a few years. It had 2 tips, 1 for flies, and one for baits. It finaly died too, but the reels are still going strong.

If I could find some greenheart I would make a replacement for my long gone first fly rod.

Try this place bamboorods.com out. It's run by a man out of Rocky Mountain house who has been building bamboo rods for decades. He has and may still have greenheart rods for sale in his used rod section.