Thread: Arrow weight
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
I shoot a 538 grain arrow @ 285 fps out of an 80lb bow with a fixed blade broad head. This gives me 97 pounds of kinetic energy. I am able to shoot this setup all day long and after sitting in -30C for hours on end and I can do it accurately. I have shot many 3D shoots with this setup as I don't have a 3D setup and have done well.

I start with this statement because I feel that the most important part is being able to shoot your setup under all conditions accurately and with confidence.

I have chosen my setup for the worst case scenario where the shot may not be the best placed shot or it might have hit a large bone. With this setup a complete pass through on a bull elk at 50 yards is not a problem. I have also found elk shoulder blades are not a problem but the joint where the leg connects to the shoulder blade is a problem.

For me I put more value in hitting power than high speeds and a tight pin gap; but that is just me.
Where do you find arrows with that many gpi? I shoot 300 spine arrows that run around 10gpi. I haven't found anything much heavier. Do you wrap your arrows to get the weight up?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk