View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 07:26 PM
AO Sponsor

Default 250 LB HALIBUT Caught and Released, PIC Heavy

Hey guys,

So what a great day yesterday was. Amazing halibut fishing (limited out), then head out and tag out on lingcod and yelloweye...then head salmon fishing and limit out there to finish off the day...between our three boats had over 1000lbs of fish, not entirely uncommon during the season either.

The real story of the day was the halibut though as we managed to tag into a 77 1/4" long, approx. 250lb halibut. We had just tagged out on halibut in the 25-69lb range and had released a 120lb and 82lb on top of that already when the big girl of the day hit like a freight train and started to peel, I set the hook and immediately said, she's a big girl on this one (we had actually lost two that I believe could have been over 150 as well). The halibut swam around all the lines and actually made a huge mess, but it also allowed us to reel her in using all of the rods

So instead of being against one drag, she was against quite a few so it only took about 10min to reel in!!! Beside the boat I looked down and said, wow, this girl is big. We noosed her tail, she did not like that and went bizerk beside the boat as we hung on for dear life, then carefully gaffed her through her lip and me and one other tried to pull her in now that she was tired for pictures...but we couldnt even get her CLOSE to out of the water...that's when I knew she was over 200lbs as the 120lber earlier was easily lifted into the boat with two guys. So it took FOUR GUYS to lift her in, quickly measured the length, snapped a few pics, and back into the water she went, as soon as the noose was off her tail she kicked like mad back down to bottom. What a beautiful fish...just sheer power and size on it is incredible.

We have already caught 9 halibut over 100lbs this season, so if that is something you want to do on your bucket list, you know where to go! Plus every day have limited out on Chinook....EVERY DAY! Longest it has taken has been 4 hours of fishing...doesn't get much better. Will post the Chinook pics in the salmon thread possibly tomorrow...here are the hali ones!!!

Give us a call or PM about 2015 dates, sold quite a few weeks already just from guests before they leave...

250lbs!!!

ONE BOAT, ONE DAY

Nice keeper

Another

One boat, one day

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast