View Single Post
Old 10-22-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschambault View Post
No one has mentioned southern reservoirs here. F&W has essentially placed a blanket no retention of pike or walleye on all the reservoirs near Calgary. This is despite the abundance of both species in many of these lakes. Why not have a 1 fish per day limit for 1 month or some other idea like that that should be relatively easy to monitor. You could apply for tags with dates on them so they could only be used at one per day. It just seems sad that I have to drive to Saskatchewan to eat a fish when I can catch at least as many close to home. I mainly practice catch and release but do love to eat the odd fish.
Yup, short sighted retention closures with no alternative actions taken first, typical AEP management right now. The limit was 3 over 50 on most of those lakes. Why wasn't 1 or 2 tried before setting it to 0? What is the reason for the closure when some of these lakes have lots of fish in them? The only potential reason seems to be to get a few larger fish before they implement tags...

Why did they bother leaving the few lakes open that they did? They don't like those lakes so want them to see significant pressure increases? At least the destruction of PCR probably helped take a lot of that load this year.

Pretty sad seeing what Alberta anglers have to resort to in order to get a feed of fish these days. Hey at least you can buy high quality tuna, halibut, lobster etc cheaper then what it costs to go get a feed of fish locally though...