View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
We are talking walleye here. Doesnt matter what I think. And it doesnt matter what you think either. If AEP isnt comfortable with numbers they will error on the side of caution and shut the lake down. Remember 9 years is a long time. If those lakes are currently 3 fish, doesnt matter, it will go to zero.

I have probably read the same studies as you and then some over the course of time not that matters much. Just saying.
I am not only talking walleye nor will I as the big picture is what is important. Only talking walleye is what has got us to this point now where our perch, pike and whitefish populations are hurting on a number of these lakes. Not pushing back enough is what has lead to constant reductions in limits and closures relating to walleye, pike, cutties, grayling and more... I have only been fishing here for around 6-7 years now and it is disgusting how things have been changing even in that short time even though I would be willing to bet that the populations of these species province wide have likely increased over this time considering the restrictive regulations and changes like removal of commercial fishing etc.

And no it does not only matter what AEP thinks... That is my whole point... We as anglers(well some of us anyways) are capable of telling a sheep from a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Some more numbers regarding Eagle Lake.

Estimated walleye population in 2015, 238/0.013 = 28,300.

Estimated pike population, 40/0.003 = 13,300.

Thousands of fish and the "length distribution shows very strong recruitment" and "The fishery appears to be supported by several year-classes".

And the best part.

Quote:
the large density of immature Walleye in Eagle Lake, dependant on its Fisheries Management Objectives, may provide opportunities for carefully managed harvests.
Good thing they closed retention!!!

Sad that AEP doesn't even take their own recommendations and that they choose to close these lakes to "achieve management objectives" whatever those might be... Whatever they are I guarantee you they are not in the anglers best interest...