View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 07:43 PM

Couple of thoughts.....

I've hunted 503 exclusively for the past 5 years or so. Moose aren't particularly plentiful but they are there. I decided to get into bow hunting to take advantage of the rut. After about three years of practice and striking out I connected on my first bow kill two years ago in early October.

I only spend time in a small portion of the area but based on my observations November hunting is gonna be dicey. I put lots of miles on from July to November and barely see a moose outside of the rut. It's like someone throws a switch in late September and turns it off again in mid October. I've spent a full week walking and quadding during peak whitetail season in November and not see a moose track from start to finish. Wherever they go I've not been able to find them.....yet!

Now I'm not trying to discourage you. Quite the contrary. It's a great area with tons of crown land, especially in the north. I find that a large proportion of hunters tend to stay fairly close to highways and the better resource roads. If you can find a way to get back in the bush a bit you can find some real gems that are barely looked at by locals. Sometimes all you need to do is walk 10 minutes into a cut line and you have the place to yourself.

As for landowners, I cant help much because I've never tried to get permission. I've been told that people with my particular accent (moved from Newfoundland 13 years ago) aren't received favorably by the farmers in the area. Based on the stories I've heard I dont blame them. Some of my compatriots from back east seem to have wrecked it for the rest of us. I'm not someone who likes bugging people at the best of times so I stick to crown land. If your dad has some connections though you should definitely take advantage.

When I started I googled earthed the crap out of the area and found some points of interest to key in on. Then using the iHunter app I cross referenced with the landowner info and public leases. Lots of good spots for sure. Just need to do a bit of homework. Pay special attention to the leases. Many dont require contact but easy access is only available through the leasors property. If you can find an alternate access point they can be excellent spots.

Just in case you hadn't realised it though, you dont have a late season tag. The tag is good for all season. Just cant rifle hunt till November. My Uncle drew the same tag so we will be out again in bow season. If you are capable with a bow I highly recommend it. I'm always walking around 503 in early October and over the past 4 or 5 years you can count the number of other hunters I've see on one hand. Unfortunately the moose aren't much more plentiful. LOL

Best of luck with it.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk