View Single Post
Old 06-03-2016, 12:44 PM

Want to say thank you for the responses and advice guys. I'm really trying to avoid just mass contacting people and asking to hunt. Hearing what landowners are looking for in allowing hunters access to their places would help me interact with them better.

Last year I got permission on a place in Water Valley. Went and spoke to the guy. Chatted for 30 minutes, got to hear an earful on people disrespecting their place but what really surprised me is that even though they had so many issues with people trespassing and their initial response to the permission query was "No", we just chatted like reasonable human beings about "stuff" and I never brought up permission again but at the end of the conversation the guy offered me a nice quarter section to hunt in.

I think someone above nailed it when they said these people talk. A lot of permission likely comes from people who know Joe who knows Bob who said that you weren't a bad guy and helped him with his fence line etc..

Just to pass on some success tips I've had too, one of them is to offer predator control as well. Know the regs in regards to coyote/wolf and I've told land owners (and had one guy take me up on it) I'd be happy to spend a few weekends helping out there.

One other successful thing I've offered that most land owners haven't taken me up on but the offer is sincere is coming back after hunting season and just do a quick clean up along the main pathways/roads for the property not to clean up my mess because I don't make a mess but if I hunt on land and other hunters are also allowed out there I want to make sure at the end of the season the land owner isn't think "Those damn hunters" with me lumped in everytime they see some trash out there. Most folks are very surprised at the offer but also refuse it just asking I take out what I bring in. I always carry trash bags with me just incase.

The other thing I discuss with people if I do get permission is gut piles.. Is it okay to gut on site? Do they want any of the internals? Is there a way they would like the gutpile handled if it is okay to field dress at site.

I know there are a lot of good and ethical hunters out there. I hope by doing things "right" we can restore the faith that some landowners may have lost through bad experiences.

Thanks again for your thoughts and advice. Keep it coming