View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 06:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
They aren't garbage. He's just trying to promote his buddy SWT's fur by spreading misinformation.

The main differences are that the hide may not be as supple with a home tan and it is a lot cheaper. The quality of the fur doesn't change.

IMO a $30 home tanned beaver pelt is a better choice for someone that is just learning to make mitts, etc than a $150 factory tanned pelt that you may screw up on.
I agree. Nothing wrong with most commercial tanned goods but home tanning has it's place too.

Nothing wrong with the Orange bottle method as a way to start the learning process either.

No one ever did a perfect job the first try on anything, be that setting, skinning, tanning or sewing.

My did used to give me low value pelts to practice on. It was a great way to learn and a great way to utilize the small damaged pelts.

I would not trust anyone who suggested that the only way to learn is to use top quality materials to practice on.

George Bernard Shaw