View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
My question was not about a single species, but multi species for a family. Once again why is it ok for a non-native family to shoot a moose, maybe two, and an elk, maybe two or three deer and an antelope, but a Native should only be allowed half or less than that amount?
If those same three people that I mentioned earlier drew a moose and an antlerless elk in the same year that they drew the pronghorn tags, then yes, they could kill three animals each that year, but as with the pronghorn, they would not likely be drawing an elk or a moose tag in most wmus for at least a couple of years perhaps several. They also could not shoot a trophy bighorn the next year. As well, every tag that they draw is part of the management system, so if they draw the tag one year, someone else will likely go without that tag. Once again, a subsistence hunter can kill elk, moose, pronghorn, mule deer, and a bighorn sheep every year, which has a much greater effect on the game populations. As well, since they don't have to register most species, their harvests won't be known to ESRD, so they can't be taken into account when it comes to managing our game populations.

Quote:
I am not so naïve as to think that the Natives could not be part of the problem, my real problem is that I don't know, no one does. No one seems to have any clue about how much game they are shooting, or for how many people. How can anyone reasonably attack that group without this information????
And how is anyone ever going to get that information unless they are required to register all kills?

Quote:
I will only say this. One could argue till they are blue in the face about first nation hunting rights. But you will never change these treaties.
You can regulate native hunting, without violating the terms of many treaties. Many treaties contain the phrase below:

Quote:
Her Majesty further agrees with Her said Indians, that they, the said Indians, shall have right to pursue their avocations of hunting and fishing throughout the tract surrendered as hereinbefore described, subject to such regulations as may from time to time be made by Her Government of Her Dominion of Canada, and saving and excepting such tracts as may from time to time be required or taken up for settlement, mining, lumbering or other purposes, by Her said Government of the Dominion of Canada, or by any of the subjects thereof duly authorized therefor by the said Government.