View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
If you do go with the bird some of them had a 2 cord transducer which was a pain. One cord was the actual transducer cable the other cord was a just a lanyard. The two cords would sometimes cause the transducer to sit off kilter and give a crappy return of what was down there.

Also keep the head unit from bouncing around or any vibration like a sled being pulled over the ice. Also be gentle with the transducer dont tap it on the skim of ice or floating chunks in the hole to get it to sink. This goes with all units but especially the birds and it should last a few years longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
They don't have the 2nd "cord" anymore which was just a piece that they used to circumvent patents from what I understand. Most guys just took it off as it didn't really do anything.

I know multiple guys with birds that haven't had any issues and I don't remember any coming in last winter either when I worked at the Fishin' Hole. I broke my gain knob off mine but that was my own fault for not securing it in the sled better on a 50+ km rough snowmobile ride on Lake Athabasca and I just ordered the part from Mikes Reel Repair in Abbottsford and fixed it myself.

The worst ones for dependability are the Marcum's from what I have seen but they have good customer service and usually stand behind their products.
Not to hijack the thread but how do you guys like to secure your flashers in the sled? Do you think wrapping them up in a thick blanket/old coat would do enough to reduce vibration?