View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 07:50 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Just my opinion, BUT if you can own a rifle, a truck, hunting gear, the gas and the time off work, oh ya house and job and computer to bee-itch how unfair you get treated for having aboriginal decent.................................I think your a liar and it's not subsistence hunting anymore.
Bang on Potty!!!!
Chances are that when we pack u*p our gear to go hunting, it's for sport or trophies. You like the thrill of the hunt, the sport of taking down a majestic animal, the glory of nabbing the biggest buck. You probably don't just leave the animal there after you kill it, you eat the meat and maybe even use the pelts. But even so, your primary reason for hunting is the sport of it. If you don't bag a deer in your afternoon out, you leave disappointed and a bit frustrated, but you'll be able to rustle up some grub from your refrigerator when you get home. For some subsistence hunters, that's not always the case. Subsistence hunters hunt strictly to provide food for themselves and their families. Simply put, it's hunting for survival, RIGHT? Though it used to be a way of life for most, the need for subsistence hunting is dwindling. Grocery stores are on every corner for many of our well educated Metis city dwellers and for those who live in the rural areas I'm sure you'll find one within the hour. I don't think "subsistence hunting" is a right that should be given to all so-called Metis. If you exist in remote areas of the country where work, money, stores and other necessities of life are hard to come by, and you chose to hunt out of season, I would call you a subsistence hunter. But as Pottymouth said, if you own a house, truck, computer, (to bitch on) go to a good paying job everyday, I would call you a poacher or liar if you exercise the rights of a subsistence hunter. Metis card or no Metis card the onus lies on the word 'SUBSISTENCE'. If you don't know what it means, look it up.