View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 08:53 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
Its much more than simply being part French and Native. The Metis is a nation with our own language, culture, traditions and in the past, our own government. The Metis people are a distinct people.

As for membership, it has become more stringent. Many people that had membership in the past (prior to Powley) lost their memberships because they didn't meet the requirements. There definitely has been an influx of Metis (of convenience) but if they met the requirements they are able to get a membership. A family member is the genealogist for the MNA and she is the one that did our family's genealogy years ago, long before Powley. Even so, each member of our family had to go through the application process, there were no special favors because we were related to her.

I'm not going to argue that there aren't Metis that are abusing this right because there is but it isn't on the scale that is being posted here. Just as any group there will always be those that take advantage of something but the vast majority of Metis people are hunting within the guide lines of this agreement and not abusing it. People posting here are making it seem as though most Metis are out trophy hunting which isn't the case and its misleading because I can bet my bottom dollar that those posting about the trophy hunters never witnessed this themselves, its a whole lot of he said she said going on to validate their opposition to this agreement. To say all Metis lost our pride because of this agreement is over stating, the majority of us have not lost anything.

I encourage anyone that has issues with the Metis people to attend any number of functions held around Alberta at different times of the year and sit down and talk with people. I'm sure you'll get a better light of what it means to be Metis for many of us. Too many people are reading biased opinions on boards such as this and taking it as truth when in fact the majority it purely speculation and biased opinions. There is a festival in Batoche Saskatchewan held every year in July (18th-25th, 2010). If people really want to understand what the Metis are about, go check it out.
Well said Sporty and I agree that trophy hunting isn't rampant throughout the Metis community but it has to be a concern. I don't think it can just be swept under the rug either. And yes, I have seen the results. You make some great points about the Metis and what it means to be Metis and it's unfortunate that an unscupulous faction is riding your coat tails for nefarious reasons.