View Single Post
Old 04-24-2024, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
That logic makes absolutely no sense. There may be an argument for poisoning but because we accidently kill animals on the high way we should indiscriminately poison most every hungry predator or scavenger in a given area is a stretch.

The vast majority of animals killed on the high way are ungulates. One might argue due to a lack of natural predators.

Way too many wolves in the areas I hunt and I would love to see a reduction. IMO snaring a bait site would give better control. You might not get them all but I don't think there is a "taste" for killing all wolves.

The survivors would leave a dangerous area making it safer for ungulates and the ungulate population can certainly tolerate some natural predation. The right amount of predation culls the weak, old, sick and stupid strengthening the the herd overall.
Snaring has bi catch as well. Sometimes even Cariboo calves!

Trouble with not getting all the wolves in a pack by attempting snaring, is that you can end up with two alpha males from the remaining wolves and end up with two packs in the future. Nothing solved by that!

Accept that there will be co morbidity, and remove the bait or burn it when the wolves have been eliminated and before the bears emerge from their dens. Ugly truth about the job that needs to be done and the sooner the wolf numbers are reduced the better. Don't be squeamish and accept why it is necessary.

Alternative is to let the Feds declare an endangered species in Alberta, then they have jurisdiction to close all logging, oil and gas, and even road networks in the name of preserving the Caribou. Do you want that instead???

Drewski