Thread: Advice Please
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 07:45 AM

Reading water is very important. I spent my first season of fly fishing on the same 200m stretch of the bow River using the same nymphing method each time. Probably had close to 50 outings that first season, and learned so much about where fish tend to hangout and how things change throughout a season. Each river is different, but I suggest trying to focus on one system for now and really learning it. Then take what you've learned and apply it to other rivers, but prepare to adjust. For example, I spent 2 years fishing the Bow and Highwood before ever fishing the central Alberta streams. My first day on a central creek was with a friend who is quite experienced. In 6 hours out we only caught 1 fish. We had some fish flow streamers but only 1 on the hook all day. However, we covered alot of ground, found some fishy looking spots, and also spooked lots of fish out from their spots. The fish were very spooky, unlike anything I had seen before. I took mental notes of where the good bends were and where we saw fish. The next week I went back alone, walked and waded much more carefully and slow, casted to the spots that I knew held fish, and had tons of action in just a few hours. Sometimes a day of not many fish and lots of walking can set you up for a very successful outing the next time. I like to cover lots of ground, it usually rewards me with some great spots to catch fish