View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Aside from dropping it and other physical trauma . . . does anybody have any experience on the failure rate of scopes?
Some scopes never track properly or hold their zero as the magnification is changed when they are new,let alone after they have seen rough use.I have seen this with several low end scopes,but it is rare with the better quality scopes.As well,lower end scopes have inferior lens coatings that result in them not being very bright in low light situations.Some scopes fog up due to poor purging and sealing.I have seen crosshairs break and lenses come loose,or the adjustments let go,so that the point of impact changes on it's own,and can't be corrected.I have seen several scopes fail from recoil,and once again,all were lower end scopes.When they do fail,it is often suddenly,and the scope can become unusable immediately.The worst part is,that they may fail but give no indication of failure,and you may miss shots at game before suspecting a problem.In total,in over thirty years of shooting,I have probably seen a few dozen scopes fail in some way or another,of these probably a dozen were totally unusable as a result(crosshairs breaking,adjustment totally let go,scope fog up,scope go way out of focus etc).