View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 01:25 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I would not resort to that method myself, but if the trajectory of the load is already too flat for the reticle, you can't calibrate by adjusting the magnification. You can play with the zero range to try and adapt the reticle to make it work somewhat better, but to me, that defeats the purpose of the Rapid Z reticles. The whole advantage of having hashmarks labelled with ranges, as in 300 yards or 400 yards, is lessened when the main reticle represents 180 yards. and the 500 reticle represents say 525 yards. As distance increases, it gets progressively worse, so the 700 yard hash mark could easily represent 750 yards. To me, when that happens, the Rapid Z system no longer offers any advantage.
By adjusting zero on some cartridges that are too flat you can indeed make the hashmarks yardage indicated. I remember you talking about doing this exact thing once

And, for a handful, the system just doesn't work perfectly and you are right there is no advantage other than your secondary reticles are numbered and you are not required to count them each time you make a shot. Truthfully, for something that shoots too flat for the Rapid Z, I'd recommend a turret scope with yardage indicated turrets anyhow.