View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
This is silly. They have a system that reports the alarm as an emergency. It's just like calling the fire department when your significant other is going to make supper because you think they might burn the house down. Then when the fire department shows up and nothing burned down you tell them "false alarm guys thanks for coming out". Don't these systems have a temporary off setting?
Yes they do.
If the customer defines the protocol for the service to call them before calling 911.
Most alarm companies fail to tell their customer the system uses the land line and it will be tied up so do not use that number for a contact.
You cannot call the alarm company on that line if the alarm is active.
If the system is through the Internet, that is not a problem.

Often I arrive to at the house to find the home owner trying to contact the alarm company to cancel the call.
The root cause is the alarm companies not educating the customer on how the system works.
They also fail to explain that they will be charged for false alarms that get dispatched.
I have seen where the system malfunctioned and the alarm company picked up the bill, but that is rare.
I had a gas suppression system installed in my server room.
Two detectors must alert to smoke before the system deploys the suppressant.
Residential could be set up that way so that a single detector above the burnt toast does not initiate a call.