View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
I'm all for smoke detectors alerting a resident to smoke.
I'm not in favour of the system dispatching 911 before talking to the home owner that is standing the kitchen.
Systems in hotels, where the desk person is present 24/7, have the protocol for the alarm company to call the desk before dispatching fire.
Our local hospital's system does not activate a call out on a pull station or a detector activation. That is why you have staff for.
That is how the residential systems should be.
The alarm is to initiate evacuation to save lives, not to save the house.
I am well aware of the speed of a fires spread.
Unless you live next to the station, the house will likely be lost but they build new ones every day.
Often the priority after the safety of the residents is protecting the adjacent exposure.

At every fire chief meeting, seminar and conference that I attend the common complaint of every department is alarm systems.
If you don't believe me, stop at a fire station some time, ask their opinion then let us know on this thread what they have to say.
Then your local hotels and hospitals are obviously under a different code than the cities. If a monitored (key word being monitored) alarm goes off at the Foothills Hospital in Calgary, fire trucks are going...they can be updated and told it’s a false alarm, and some trucks stood down, but at least one truck is going to that scene.

Obviously you’re on the job, I get it...others here are as well. No need for me to go to the nearest fire hall and ask their opinion... The original post was an alarm due to cooking...ie, smoke, and as I said, technically the system did what it is supposed to do...so technically not a false alarm. Malfunctions, repeat mistakes, malicious alarms and/or commercial alarms are all a different story.

We live in a society where people will blindly follow their GPS into a lake and wonder how it all went wrong, basically we live in a society where common sense is not common at all...and for these reasons we have police, EMS, Fire and others to help protect us from ourselves. Yes we pay for it, but such is life. I also pay taxes for other things where the value of return is far less, we all do.

Again, I was originally referring to the OP, where cooking was involved...details matter.