View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I solo hunted for most of my hunts thru the years and like mentioned watching where and how you walk is important. I don't risk running logs or jumping creeks. I am extremely careful around beaver worked areas. There are all sorts of little sapling stumps that are perfect trippers and stickers if you fall. Wearing good boots with good ankle support can prevent a sprained ankle. Even spraining an ankle while walking thru a familiar 1/4 section at dusk can turn into an ordeal. You don't have to be way out in the outback.

When I was young I used to bushwhack on foot 5 or more miles from camp hunting the foothills and boreal forest. I realized it is smarter to get to know a smaller area. Randomly walking cutlines and/or watching cut blocks for the kill is nice but not really as rewarding as getting in the bush and knowing how the animals use the immediate area. I also learned young that it is not wise to hunt big animals alone on foot and shoot one a mile or more from where the vehicle is. Took me two days and 9 trips to pack out a moose about 2 miles.

My tips:
-Use forethought lots.

-When I used to go bushwhacking into unknown areas I would carry a spool of Jetline string in my pack too. It was almost like dental floss but had a very high tensile breaking strength. The Small and lightweight. 2000 feet and 100 lb. breaking strength in a small 2"x5" 'spool'. The string fed out of the inside of the spool. Not sure where to get such string now. I used to carry a spool of string and if I was breaking trail through the unknown bush or if I had to track a shot animal off the trail I would let out the string to the animal and then be able to follow the string back to the trail. Handy when hunting last light. I'd just retrieve the string after. I would put a few lengths of string out in certain places just for a reference points too. Nowadays there is orange fishing line. Carry a 300 yard spool of 30 to 50 lb fishing line. Useful in a few ways. Spiderwire or any kind of orange colored braided fishing line.

-When I used to hunt specific back country areas, on pre season scouting trips I would carry in sealed 5 gallon pails with a variety of goods and stash the pails so come hunting season I can pack lighter during the hunt and have a good supply of goods waiting for me. A couple scouting trips and 2 to 4 pails stashed in the area is comforting.

-Hunting alone on foot alone watch your back track. Cougars like to stalk from behind. Might be a good idea to wear a mask with a face on the back of your head when you are sitting or walking. If the cat thinks you are looking at them they might not pounce. I once stared down a big cougar that had snuck into 20 feet behind me. At least I think I did. It got up from the pounce position and walked back into the bush.

-If you wear glasses when in the wilderness it is imperative that you have a neck sting attached to the glasses in case you do fall and the glasses want to go flying. Carry an extra pair in your pack.

And sometimes the inevitable does happen. Like this 1924 find.
http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/moo...iTzsUz5KZ-FRPE
That line is a great idea. Even to string out from camp in the bush so you have a large handrail to hit.