View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I learned to hunt old school, A rifle, a few matches or a lighter, a light lunch, a knife the proper clothes and go.

I have never made a point of telling anyone where I'm going, unless they ask, and I never ever say when I'll return.

I've spent months on the trapline, no phone, no one expecting me back at any particular time. Just me and my work.

I drive my wife nuts, she carries two pair of shoes to go shopping, one pair for outside, one for inside. She would have me pack a months supplies and at least ten changes of clothes, for a one afternoon hunt, if I'd let her decide what to take.

Safety is a way of being, not something one carries.

I've learned to be patient. I think impatience gets more people in trouble in the bush then anything else.

Someone mentioned trying to find their way in the dark. When I can't make it home, or back to camp before dark, I make camp. Really just a fire, that's what the matches are for.

It's not all that bad to spend a night sitting beside a fire, better then stumbling around in the dark.

I guess that's the thing. With today's instant this and instant that, with a phone in our pockets and a four lane highway in front of us we panic when we can't be where we want to be when we thought we could be there.

No one has any patience anymore. We have to have a plan, and with that we have to meet our own expectations.

My expectation is, I'll get home eventually. And I won't die if it takes a bit longer then I thought it would. So, no hurry, enjoy, no need to take chances. No need to break the law, court law or natures law.
Breaking either can get a fellow in a lot of trouble.
Very well said. Safety is a way of being, not something one carries.