View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 09:54 AM

I should clarify my post

Guides get paid by the outfitter.

Tip are a bonus. Not everyone gets a bonus.

Allow me to give an example:

A fly in moose hunt usually means you will probably not meet the outfitter. You meet your guide. You are cooked for, tent cleaned, and all amenities are utilized for you by your guide. The guide is your best bet for success, notwithstanding the fact you must be open to listen to the guides advice, trust her/him, and observe what they do to assist you in getting your animal.

All of this is the guides job. The guide is being paid to do this, from the money you already paid for the hunt.

A tip is simply a bonus, based on your judgment. If you decide no tip, fine. That is completely your call.

Personally, I do a few things that I bring to.the hunters attention. Not for the purposes of acquiring a tip, but to show the hunter I care about his hunt and trophy. For example:

When I cape an animal, I bring the hunter over and show him the finished job. I show him the eyes, mouth and nose area of the cape and the horn bases. I show the hunter that there are no knife slips, no errors and tell him why I am showing him this. If he wants to sit and watch the process, I encourage it. That way, his taxidermist cannot blame me for an imperfect or poor mount due to any errors in caping. Most hunters appreciate this and are grateful in knowing that a poor mount doesnt result in a blame-game.

Again, guides are paid to do this anyhow. Its part of the job and a basic expectation....

I bring my own spices to cook with. I hate eating lousy food as much as my hunter does.

I tell the hunter how to dress for the day. I always default to Plan C, because A and B usually fail....lol

I guide my hunter like Id guide my sons. We are gonna do everything we can to get this animal, within the law of course.

Do I honestly expect a tip. No, I dont. Money isnt why I guide. I get to hunt. I dont shoot, but shooting isnt a thrill for me. And 9 days after this hunt, I get to do it all over again......

Getting your animal cannot be the basis for a successful hunt. It's hunting. If you want a guarantee, there are fenced properties that will cater to this. Does it feel better if you get your animal? Of course it does! Kinda why you're there in the first place. But it happens. Everyone hates it, but there are no guarantees. High probability, but no guarantee.....

Have I been tipped? Yes. Have I not been tipped? Yes. Do I care? No. Thats just me.

Go on your hunt, whatever it is, with high hopes but no definite plans. Trust your guide. Communicate with your guide. Be open. Be in reasonable shape. Be able to walk and be able to sit still. Enjoy wherever you are. Relax. Make a friend.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 03-29-2021 at 10:05 AM.