View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
A lot of the farmers I know will flat out tell you they don’t have “elk” problems they have “elk hunter” problems. One farmer had a WT doe shot and left in his driveway, a spike elk shot and left at the gate of a pasture, and another young raghorn gut shot and left to die in the middle of his field. Fences cut across the land in January by “cow elk” hunters on ski-doos, etc. It is no wonder many say no. Thanks to some of the above antics, I have had to find new places to go because the landowners have just had enough and it’s easier to deal with the elk than the hunters.

LC
Agree whole heartedly, I lived in Grande Prairie for 22 years, hunted the Spirit River area every year there and never had a problem getting access, of course I did things alot of 'hunters' never did or do:

Ask permission ahead of time and at reasonable times (not 5:30 am when you think you see something shootable)

Be respectful at all times, you have no idea of the owner's situation or issues he may have had with other 'hunters'

Take being told no graciously,

When given access thank the owner and find out his terms (exact area to hunt, vehicle/foot access only, fences and gates, safe lanes of fire etc) and then comply exactly

Thank the owner at the end of your hunt and or season

Far too many 'hunters' think its their god given right to hunt where they want when they want, these are very often the same people that give the bare minimum when something is asked of them but demand everything when they want something

Given the landowners I've met and dealt with over the years along with the 'hunters' I'm truly grateful and amazed at the number of owners who still grant access,

Oh, and here's a pro trip for you whiny little 'hunters', that's not an elk in the blaze orange vest along the tree line so dont scope him, he shoots back