View Single Post
Old 02-29-2020, 08:38 AM

I'm 'retired' - sort of, keep working part-time as I choose too. Currently in a position where I could be employed for a year or two. My wife is at least 2 years away from seriously considering retiring, and even then she may stay employed for a while at a minimum, just for the benefits. We just added considerably to our RRSP's and plan to add to our TFSA's in the next week or two. We're pretty much maxed out on all of them for contributions.

We planned on doing so even before the recent 'corrections' in the market, which I have been expecting for at least a year now. Of course, I certainly enjoyed seeing the value of our investments going up (some like a rocket!) in the past several months, but now is a better time to buy than 2 weeks ago!

We've taken a bit of a hit, down about 4% since the end of January. In my thinking, and planning, the key is to keep a balanced portfolio, and realize there are always ups and downs in the markets (I've been investing for over 40 years). Oh, and in my opinion it is good planning to be a bit more 'conservative' as we get older. I've still got 7 years before I have to roll my RRSP's into an RRIF, and my wife has 10 to go so there is plenty of time for recovery and profit to be made yet . If I only had a year or so to go then I'd move funds into 'safe' investments and cash.